I just posted the last chapter we had left to write, Profiling and optimisation. Please get your comments in by the end of Tuesday, September 2! The response to the previous two has been excellent; we appreciate your help and careful reading.
With that chapter posted, we draw over 15 months of intensive writing to a close. I am very proud of our work. It has been a pleasure to work with John and Don on the manuscript, and Mike has been a great editor. The interest and participation of our readers has made writing this book a uniquely rewarding experience, so we thank you all for your encouragement and help.
It would be a shame to let this milestone pass without some serious geekbait. As geeks, we love numbers, so here are some relating to our work so far.
- We have made exactly 1300 commits to our darcs repository.
- Our DocBook source file is 44092 lines (2042719 bytes) long.
- The current size of the proofs is 686 pages.
- Our examples tree contains 291 Haskell source files, containing 893 code examples. (Yes, we’ll be releasing the whole lot.)
- We have 166 source files of interactions with GHC’s command line interpreter, containing 598 examples.
- We automatically build and run all of our examples, so what you see on the screen (soon to be the page) is code that really works.
How has our system of open, incremental development worked out? In my estimation, it has been a fantastic success, far overwhelming my expectations.
- We have received 7153 comments so far.
- That’s an average of 1.73 comments per paragraph.
- The usual number of technical reviewers for a technical book is 2.
- 748 people have commented so far on our drafts.
Feedback from our readers has had a profound effect on the development of the book. We have received comments from people who have been using Haskell for almost 20 years, from casual hackers, and from people who are just picking up the language for the first time. We have used your input to make our coverage both more correct and more accessible. Thank you all for the generosity you have shown with your time and attention!
Finally, I have a few notes about our production schedule.
We expect to receive the first batch of copyedited proofs early next week. We’ll be turning each batch around in a matter of days. We surprised both ourselves and O’Reilly’s production team by turning in such a huge manuscript. (I think they’d been expecting around 300 pages.) This will increase the duration of the copyedit by a few weeks, so our current estimate of the publication date is around the beginning of November.
Update: Due to a clerical error on my part, a number of comments for chapters 12 and 29 performed a switcheroo. We’ll still make it through them, don’t worry.